Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm back

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was in Russia. I returned last week but got a little lazy. Anyway here's a few tidbits about Russia.

Russians read like crazy and are very well educated. Book stores are always packed (unlike America) and you can hardly walk anywhere without seeing someone reading.

Russia is a horribly corrupt country full of many contrasts. You can find the fanciest things out there but there is a lot of poverty and general sketchiness. John Edwards' two Americas comments seem like hyperbole compared to Russia.

Russians love to talk about politics. They are hesitant to talk about Russian politics but they will after they loosen up. Russians love to ask questions about America and President Obama. Russians are big fans of Obama (bizarre considering how racist Russia is).

The biggest thing in my mind is that young educated Russians are very frustrated. They are frustrated with corruption and they feel like they can't use their skills to get ahead. Many want to move to America. I have a feeling Russia is going to go through a massive transformation in the next few years as the college class is Russia gets more frustrated. Russia will either adapt and grow or there will be one heck of a revolution going on. Its up to Prime Minister Putin to make this decision as it will have long term historical consequences. A third possibility is a Russian brain drain as Russians leave their country to Europe and America to seek more economic opportunities.

Anyway, I will throw in more tidbits on my experiences in Russia but hopefully I will get back to what I do best and that's discuss politics!

No comments: