Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I'm back!! Plus thoughts on gay marriage

Sorry it's been close to two years or since I've written on this blog. That's going to change. I have a new rule: I have to write at least 500 words every day. Not all of them will be on this blog, but a good chuck of it will.

One thing I've been thinking about lately is gay marriage and how far we've come since I was in high school. I remember it being almost crazy to think gay marriage is even a possibility, I mean it was discussed but so many people were against it, it seemed it would never happen. Now, most Americans support gay marriage and all those opposed seemed to be rather defensive about it. See many of those opposed to gay marriage (some of whom are my friends) say I respect your views you should respect mine. The problem with that is your views are bigoted. By definition you are a bigoted person:

big•ot•ed [big-uh-tid] 
adjective 
utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
"Bigoted." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2013. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigoted.

By being against gay marriage, you are utterly intolerant of a sexuality different than your own. So just because you don't like being called a bigot does not mean you are not a bigot. The only way to not be a bigot is not to be intolerant of other people. It is really that simple. 

Another part I find frustrating is the homophobic, anti-gay marriage crowd claims to be for traditional marriage. The modern from of marriage is nothing like marriage back in the day. Back in the day you just declared yourself devoted to another person and you were married. Most marriages weren't performed in a church with a priest instead, it is when people declare their devotion to each other. Just because you have this view of history that conforms to your own biases does not mean it is true. 

Frankly, I don't think it's really any business of the government to define marriage as anything other than an agreement between consenting adults. It is not the government's job to make laws that conform with your religious beliefs. It is the job of the government to protect the rights and safety of people. 

However, I really try not to directly argue with my friends about this topic because I feel it would not get me very far. I don't want to destroy friendships. I doubt I will change their views.. Though, if I felt destroying some friendships would make gay marriage legal tomorrow I'd definitely do it. In the end, I think most of my friends, those opposing gay marriage, would be embarrassed with themselves. Not now but years down the line they are going to look like supporters of Jim Crow and those against interracial marriage. 

The fact is human beings are free and the most important part of that freedom is people are treated equal in the eyes of the law. You cannot have a class of people whom cannot get married just because the person they love happens to be the same gender. Civil unions are not a fix (though I do support them as an incremental step) because civil unions are "lesser" marriages they are not equal to their straight counterparts. This is separate and inherently unequal. Gay marriage is happening whether you like it or not. Best get on-board. Love and respect your fellow human beings.