Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti

I did some research on Haiti awhile back and I do consider myself particularly familiar with its history, economics, and political problems. I'm thinking of doing a series of blogs on how to solve for the major problems in Haiti. Unlike some other countries I think Haiti's cycle of crisis can be solved.

This is how I feel Haiti's problems lie:
1) Economics/Environment
2) Politics
3) Too much direct foreign intervention
4) AIDS

I will cover this more in the future but here's my solutions:
1) Immediately input a reforestation program
2) Open up Haitian trade by including Haiti in DR-CAFTA
3) Gradually withdraw the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti
4) Refocus the UN to:
  • Monitoring elections
  • Treating AIDS through the World Health Organization
  • Focus aid through UNICEF

5) Have the US and EU train a police force and a (small) military
6) Respect Haiti's sovereignty

More on this later...