Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thoughts on Ireland

Since most are just getting over their St. Patrick's Day hang over I thought I would bring a little perspective on Irish politics.

I tend to have strong nationalist sympathies. I spend my day listening to Irish rebel songs and watching Michael Collins.

With the recent violence in Northern Ireland however I think these Real and Continuity IRA thugs are dangerous. I am particularly worried that Unionist terrorists will now be back in business and blame things on the IRA (which they have done during The Troubles).

This renewed violence is very counterproductive. Ireland needs to focus on the future in not the past. Catholic population grows much faster than the protestant one. The Republic of Ireland has become an economic force (though no one has a solid economy at the moment). Belfast needs to stop with the moaning and nostalgia of the past.

Ireland will be united in my life time. The English have done enough killing. The Irish have killed enough of each other during the civil war and The Troubles it is time to move on.

No comments: